Given these new ambitions, I believe it's premature to count Intel out. Along those lines, I still believe that Intel's true growth potential will reside in mobile. This is not to discredit management's goals in entertainment. But I don't believe that Intel's pedigree in home theater can rival what Apple and Google are able to do.
Plus, when you factor in Microsoft's (MSFT) Xbox One and Sony's (SNE) existing dominance in entertainment, Intel's aspirations seem "reaching" -- to put it mildly. With that in mind, I expect management to maintain focus on growing product development and advancing better volumes in its chips business, which should spur Intel's profitability.
Though Qualcomm and ARM Holdings may be out of Intel's league at the moment. Intel still has distinct advantages over the likes of NVIDIA (NVDA) and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD). Plus, management has positioned Intel to capitalize on emerging markets. And I believe that this is where investors should begin to focus their attention.The emerging markets are where most of the company's growth should be in the next few quarters. This is one of the main reasons that I'm bullish on Intel's core capabilities -- namely in areas like security and the cloud. What Intel needs is more time. The company will eventually recapture its magic and prove that is can increase its margins and outperform expectations. In the meantime, from an investment perspective, I believe that the stock is trading for less than its fair market value, which I have estimated to be right around $32 per share. (Shares were changing hands Tuesday morning at $24.19.) For value investors with patience, the stock is a buy at this level ahead of earnings. At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL. Follow @saintssense This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV