NEWARK, N.J., July 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Public Service Electric and Gas (PSE&G), New Jersey's largest utility, is monitoring weather conditions and has additional personnel on hand to handle any power interruptions as a result of the high heat and humidity. The utility's call centers also have extra personnel on duty to speak with customers.
PSE&G expects today's electric demand to reach 9,833 megawatts. The all-time peak demand of 11,108 megawatts was set on August 2, 2006.
PJM, the regional grid operator, expects to have sufficient power supplies available to meet the increased demand for electricity as a result of the hot and humid weather. PSE&G also has made substantial investments in its transmission and distribution system to maintain reliability and safely meet the increased demand for electricity.Here are some easy ways customers can save energy and money throughout the summer:
- Turn off everything you're not using: lights, TVs, computers, etc. Use dimmers, timers and motion detectors on indoor and outdoor lighting.
- Close blinds, shades and draperies facing the sun to keep the sun's heat out and help fans and air conditioners cool more efficiently.
- Close doors leading to uncooled parts of your home. With central air, close off vents to unused rooms.
- Delay heat-producing tasks such as washing and drying laundry or dishes until later in the day, and wait until load is full.
- Refrain from using nonessential appliances. Unplug or use only when necessary an extra refrigerator in your garage. Also, customers should consider setting their air conditioners to 78 degrees, health permitting.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV