NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) is "reportedly" (and I use that word loosely) delaying its iPad mini tablet with Retina Display until next year. That seems highly unlikely to me for a variety of reasons.
Digitimes reports, via unnamed sources, that the next version of Apple's popular tablet will launch sometime early next year, with production to start in the fourth-quarter of this year. If it is indeed true that Apple is delaying the tablet until next year, Apple most likely won't be selling two versions of the iPad mini, as the report claims.
Digitimes claims that Apple will launch a second-gen version of the iPad mini sometime this year that is "lighter, thinner and equipped with improved specifications." But Apple has never launched multiple versions of the same product. The different versions of the iPod all had different utilities, whereas multiple versions of the iPad mini serve no different purpose. It's simply one having a better screen, and one having a lower resolution. That's it.
Digitimes rumors have historically been very spotty in the past, so take anything the publication says with a HUGE grain of salt.I can't see Apple, led by CEO Tim Cook, delaying one of, if not its most popular product because it can't get the supplies for a higher screen resolution. Cook was hired by former CEO Steve Jobs as an operations expert, and has been able to deliver Apple products on time, and incredible quickly to Apple consumers. Sorry, but I just don't put much "stock" into this rumor. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV