More than 6,000 Girls and Alcoa Volunteers Collaborate on Environmental Action Projects
NEW YORK, July 15, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Girl Scouts of the USA today announced that Alcoa Foundation is sponsoring nearly 700 Girl Scouts and Girl Guides from 12 countries within the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) to "twin" together on local and global environmental "Take Action" projects. All of the projects will engage at least 400 additional youth, and more than 200 Alcoa (NYSE:AA) employees across more than six countries have already served as volunteers. The girls are partnering to reduce waste, conserve energy, and plant rain gardens as part of the Together Greening program.
In an initiative that embodies the environmental mantra "Think Global, Act Local," throughout July and August, more than half of the 20 groups will travel to meet their "twins" and see firsthand the environmental and societal challenges faced by their "twin" group.
"Traveling to other countries and working side by side with peers from different backgrounds provides many meaningful opportunities for young women to become active environmental ambassadors and, more broadly, learn about new cultures and gain valuable leadership skills. We're proud to partner with GSUSA and WAGGGS on this program and excited to see the impacts that the girls are already realizing in communities around the world," said Paula Davis, President, Alcoa Foundation.The 12 countries with girls participating in the Together Greening project include: Australia, Brazil, China, Guinea, Iceland, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico, Suriname, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The "twinning" activities include:
- Girls from Iceland traveling to Ohio to reduce the use of plastic bags and limit the amount of plastic debris in our waterways.
- Girls from South Carolina and Australia meeting at WAGGGS World Centre, Our Cabana, in Mexico, to join a recycling flash mob.
- Girl Scouts from New York traveling to England to teach younger girls about the merits of composting and recycling.
- Girls from Washington, D.C., going to China to build a rain garden and an organic vegetable garden.
- Girl Guides from Suriname visiting Arizona to learn about creating legislation to reduce plastic waste.
- Girls from Mexico meeting their twins in Tucson, Arizona to plant trees and vertical gardens.
- 64 million lbs. of waste eliminated
- 250,000 kWh of energy saved
- 400 million lbs. of Co2 saved
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV