BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Stocks ushered in some strong performance last week, with the S&P 500 rallying 2.96% in the last five trading sessions to close the biggest single-week move so far in 2013. So much for the summer doldrums.
Investors have Ben Bernanke to thank for that buoyancy in stocks. That may seem surprising, especially after Bernanke's tapering comments effectively torpedoed the market last month. But like I said last month, Bernanke's taper talk was largely lip service. Talk is cheap, QE isn't -- so it was worth testing the waters with the idea that the Fed would wrap up their buy programs.
But it didn't take. Now, with the market's uptrend back on track (even if it's a slightly different track), it makes sense to look for buying opportunities in stocks again. That's why we're turning to a fresh set of Rocket Stocks to start the week.>>5 Charts to Trade After Bernanke's Comments For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 207 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 80.72%. Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks. >>5 Dow Dividend Stocsk to Beat the S&P
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV