Options volume on LEAP Friday was 5X the daily average. By way of comparison, typical options volume is about 1,350 contracts. Yet, on Friday, 6,800 calls and 350 puts traded on the stock. August 9, July 9 and October 8 calls were the most actives and there were no big trades. The largest trade was a 164-lot of Jul 9 calls for 9 cents per contract. Interestingly, roughly 80% of the volume in LEAP options Friday occurred in the final two hours of trading.
LEAP is trading above the takeover offer price of $15 per share, possibly on expectations another bidder might emerge. At that price, a July 9 call, which was trading for just 9 cents per contract Friday afternoon, has intrinsic value of $8 per contract Monday morning. Therefore, the 164-lot that was apparently bought for $1,510 late-Friday, is now worth $131,200. Experience suggests regulators will be scrutinizing the activity for signs of insider trading because it's fairly obvious that some investors were expecting the stock to LEAP before this week's expiration and buying out-of-the-money July call options on the stock late-Friday.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV