WILMINGTON, Del., July 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Acid reflux disease, also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), is one of the most common chronic illnesses in the US today, affecting more than 60 million Americans each month. 1 To help educate consumers about NEXIUM, a prescription treatment option for those diagnosed with GERD, as well as support and empower those living with the condition, AstraZeneca (NYSE: AZN) has launched resources ranging from disease information to video and interactive content via the NEXIUM® YouTube channel.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please visit: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/62163-astrazeneca-nexium-youtube-channel-acid-reflux-symptom-relief
"The majority of patients today use social media to source health and wellness information," said Ken Graham, Commercial Business Leader, GI, AstraZeneca. "With more than one billion unique users visiting YouTube each month, the NEXIUM YouTube channel puts everything from background on GERD to information on cost savings for NEXIUM at patients' fingertips."
By visiting the NEXIUM YouTube channel, patients can find:
- "Burning thoughts" on controlling GERD symptoms: lifestyle or dietary changes that can go a long way in providing relief. New "burning thoughts" will be posted to the channel each week
- Engaging videos on acid reflux disease and NEXIUM as a treatment option: informative visual content that provides background on the role of stomach acid in digesting food and how NEXIUM works by inhibiting proton pumps in the stomach. A second video overviews important safety information and indications for NEXIUM
- Relief is at Hand "shareable" badge: a social way for patients to share information about NEXIUM with their friends and family. The badge is a way for patients to show their commitment to fighting GERD, and patients will be able to "pass the purple" with the badge on Facebook and Twitter
- Symptom relief does not rule out the presence of other serious stomach conditions
- NEXIUM may increase your risk of getting severe diarrhea. Call your doctor right away if you have watery stool, stomach pain and fever that does not go away
- Talk to your doctor about your risk for:
- bone fractures if you take multiple daily doses of NEXIUM for a long period of time
- low magnesium levels if you take NEXIUM for a long period of time
- Tell your doctor about all of the medicines you take, prescription and non-prescription drugs, including clopidogrel, vitamins and herbal supplements. NEXIUM may affect how other medicines work and other medicines may affect how NEXIUM works.
- Side effects with NEXIUM include headache, diarrhea, and abdominal pain