July 15, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Acid reflux disease, also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), is one of the most common chronic illnesses in the US today, affecting more than 60 million Americans each month.
To help educate consumers about NEXIUM, a prescription treatment option for those diagnosed with GERD, as well as support and empower those living with the condition, AstraZeneca (NYSE: AZN) has launched resources ranging from disease information to video and interactive content via the
NEXIUM® YouTube channel
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please visit:
"The majority of patients today use social media to source health and wellness information," said
, Commercial Business Leader, GI, AstraZeneca. "With more than one billion unique users visiting YouTube each month, the NEXIUM YouTube channel puts everything from background on GERD to information on cost savings for NEXIUM at patients' fingertips."
By visiting the NEXIUM YouTube channel, patients can find:
- "Burning thoughts" on controlling GERD symptoms: lifestyle or dietary changes that can go a long way in providing relief. New "burning thoughts" will be posted to the channel each week
- Engaging videos on acid reflux disease and NEXIUM as a treatment option: informative visual content that provides background on the role of stomach acid in digesting food and how NEXIUM works by inhibiting proton pumps in the stomach. A second video overviews important safety information and indications for NEXIUM
- Relief is at Hand "shareable" badge: a social way for patients to share information about NEXIUM with their friends and family. The badge is a way for patients to show their commitment to fighting GERD, and patients will be able to "pass the purple" with the badge on Facebook and Twitter
"For more than two decades, AstraZeneca has been a leader in developing medications and educational resources for gastrointestinal diseases," said
, Executive Director Medical Affairs and Strategic Development for Cornerstone Brands. "The NEXIUM channel represents a new and innovative way through which we're looking to reach and engage patients."
AstraZeneca in Gastrointestinal Diseases
Since the FDA first approved NEXIUM in 2001, it has been prescribed more than 236 million times.
The new tools for patients suffering from GERD build on AstraZeneca's strong legacy and commitment to this therapeutic space.
About the NEXIUM Savings Card
It is simple to save on NEXIUM. With the NEXIUM Savings Card, most eligible patients will pay just
per month. Individual out-of-pocket costs may vary. Please see eligibility for details. Other restrictions may apply.
Important Safety Information About NEXIUM
Approved Uses for NEXIUM
- Symptom relief does not rule out the presence of other serious stomach conditions
- NEXIUM may increase your risk of getting severe diarrhea. Call your doctor right away if you have watery stool, stomach pain and fever that does not go away
- Talk to your doctor about your risk for:
- bone fractures if you take multiple daily doses of NEXIUM for a long period of time
- low magnesium levels if you take NEXIUM for a long period of time
- Tell your doctor about all of the medicines you take, prescription and non-prescription drugs, including clopidogrel, vitamins and herbal supplements. NEXIUM may affect how other medicines work and other medicines may affect how NEXIUM works.
- Side effects with NEXIUM include headache, diarrhea, and abdominal pain
NEXIUM is prescribed to treat the symptoms of acid reflux disease, which typically include persistent heartburn on 2 or more days per week, despite treatment and change of diet.
For many people, NEXIUM is also prescribed to heal damage to the esophagus called erosive esophagitis. This damage may be caused over time from stomach acid wearing away the lining of the esophagus. Only a doctor can diagnose this condition. With NEXIUM, most erosions heal in 4 to 8 weeks. Your results with NEXIUM may vary.