The U.S. business group of Sun Life Financial Inc. (NYSE:SLF, TSX:SLF) today released “Well-Placed Fears: Workers’ Perceptions of Critical Illness,” a white paper based on responses from over 4,000 U.S. workers about the potential costs of a critical illness.
The report found that many workers feared the financial impact of a critical illness even more than dying from one. Such concerns may be driven by a rise in out-of-pocket health care costs, as employer-sponsored health plans require workers to shoulder an ever-rising share of medical costs.
To highlight this trend, Sun Life Financial included in its report estimates of per-person out-of-pocket medical costs for individuals covered by health insurance who experience a critical illness, including cancer ($6,740), stroke ($17,680), and heart attack ($14,234). Sun Life’s per-person out-of-pocket cost estimates for critical illness are based on claims data from over 300,000 of the firm’s Stop-Loss insurance claims.
“Our findings suggest that benefits brokers and HR decision makers might especially want to consider offering critical illness and cancer insurance if their employee base contains a significant group of women, workers age 40 to 50, or singles,” said Bob Klein, Senior Vice President of Sun Life’s Voluntary and Multiline divisions. “Further, our research shows that workers in the transportation, utility, business/professional services, and manufacturing industries also seem particularly concerned with the financial impact of a critical illness.”According to the Sun Life critical illness white paper:
- Half of all workers, especially women and younger workers, cite cancer as their most dreaded critical illness.
- Most workers age 40 to 50 fear the financial impact of a critical illness more than they fear death, especially single workers, single women, and single parents.
- Of workers age 22 to 39, most single parents and single women earning under $50,000 fear the financial impact of a critical illness more than they fear death.
- Most workers in the transportation, utility, business/professional services, and manufacturing industries fear the financial impact of a critical illness more than they fear death.
- Over one-third (36%) of workers believe they have critical illness coverage, when industry estimates suggest that under 5% of the U.S. workforce actually have critical illness insurance coverage.
- Two-thirds (66%) of workers who personally experienced a critical illness had to make financial sacrifices to meet uncovered medical or non-medical costs, despite owning health insurance.
- Over one third (37%) of workers who survived a critical illness found themselves out of work for four months or longer.
- Tapping emergency funds or dipping into long-term savings were the most common financial sacrifices made by workers who experienced a critical illness.
- 12% of workers who experienced a critical illness declared bankruptcy and 11% lost their homes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV