SAN JOSE, Calif., and REDMOND, Wash., July 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The City of San Jose has selected Microsoft Office 365, Windows Azure and StorSimple to expand productivity of its more than 5,000 city employees, reduce operational costs, and deliver improved services to over 984,000 residents in the Capital of Silicon Valley.
"The combination of these services supports both our long-term technology strategy and the immediate needs of our employees and residents," said Vijay Sammeta, San Jose chief information officer. "We turned to Office 365 for secured cloud manageability, which in turn will help us lower our total cost of ownership and support a more mobile and connected workforce of the future. The combination of Windows Azure and StorSimple will enable us to streamline storage infrastructure support, which enables our people to make the shift from basic backend operations to citizen engagement and service delivery."
Michael Donlan, Vice President of State and Local Government, Microsoft adds: "Ensuring the productivity of employees is critical when state and local governments are constantly being asked to do more with less. Microsoft's cloud technologies not only support better collaboration and enhanced productivity, but also afford cities like San José the opportunity to do so in an environment that meets the security and privacy needs that our U.S. government customers require."The investment in new platforms was approved in the recent adoption of the annual city budget in June by the San Jose City Council. " San Jose employees will have constant and consistent access to documents, email and information through the cloud, enabling them to do their job in a secured environment not restricted by their location," said Sammeta. "In addition, employees also will be able to collaborate with each other in real time, improving efficiency and productivity, which will ultimately benefit the community at large." Sammeta cited the specific benefits of Office 365 that include:
- Universal access to data virtually anytime, anyplace, and on virtually any platform
- Capability for mobile communications and remote collaboration, including videoconferencing
- Consolidation of "big data" into a single platform
- Improved data visualization tools
- Seamless integration with third-party applications
- Automatic software updates, lowering support and management costs
- Easy staff adaptation to cloud-based platform
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts