DALLAS, July 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a multi-mode power management unit (PMU) that enables ultra-low, total system quiescent current as low as 100 nA, which minimizes power consumption in battery-powered, microcontroller-based water and gas meters and other industrial applications. The TPS65290 PMU manages all power requirements in the system, including load conditions from 100 nA to 500 mA. To order free samples, visit: www.ti.com/tps65290-pr.
The TPS65290 PMU incorporates three factory configurable "always-on" power supplies for microcontroller (MCU) sleep mode and an automatic function for choosing power from either the input voltage or buck-boost converter. In addition, the TPS65290 operates seamlessly with TI's ultra-low power MSP430 MCUs, such as the MSP430F5328.
Key features and benefits of the TPS65290:
- Extend battery life: Designers can develop systems to last beyond 10 years on a single battery by taking advantage of the new PMU's low-power, always-on bias supply for MCU sleep mode with the following three factory-selectable options:
- 10-mA, 100-nA quiescent current (IDDQ) sleep mode, leakage current bias controller with preset voltage.
- 10-mA, 400-nA IDDQ low-dropout regulator (LDO).
- 30-mA, 300-nA IDDQ buck converter.
- Minimize board footprint, number of components and cost: Integrates a 500-mA buck-boost converter, 150-mA LDO, eight power distribution switches, input voltage recovery comparator, state machine, and factory-selectable SPI/I2C interface onto one 20-mm 2 power management chip.
- Configurable for multiple applications: Extensive EEPROM configurations and programmable output voltages allow designers flexibility to optimize their systems' output voltage.
- Check out TI's broad portfolio of Smart Grid solutions.
- Download the Power Management Units for Embedded Processors selection guide.
- For help and more resources to aid design-in, read Selecting output filter capacitors in high-efficiency, pulse-skipping mode on TI's Power House blog.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the Power Forum in the TI E2E™ Community.
- Find hundreds of reference designs for any application in the PowerLab™ Reference Design Library.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts