The Fed and Small Business Optimism: Best of Kass
Small businesses are still negative, and the percentage of firms anticipating an improvement in the economic outlook (better sales) dropped to only 5% (a loss of 2 points).
Overall, tying this report to other measures of business confidence suggests stability but little upward thrust. There is a modest improvement in hiring, but most manufacturing indices (e.g., ISMs) are mixed, inventories are not building and capital spending relative to profits is low by historic standards.
On this score, watch the potentially nascent rise in unit labor costs (payrolls), as productivity gains seem behind the sector. As well, the recent U.S. dollar strength and still-modest top-line growth exposes profit margins, which are at multidecade highs and are the Achilles' heel to (too high) second-half corporate profit growth expectations. With basically flat sales growth, it is hard to see business loosen its purse strings going forward.
The volatility seen recently in the fixed-income markets when combined with the aforementioned challenging earnings outlook could limit market upside.My view is that the S&P 500 has 50 points to the upside and more than 100 points to the downside, an unfavoraborable reward vs risk. At the time of original publication, Kass was short SPY.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV