NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- It's not exactly a state secret that kids look to their parents for money, starting with allowances when they're young and sometimes escalating to loans when they're older.
But kids want more from their parents than just cash. They want financial guidance, too, and they count on their parents as mentors on the subject.
"Nearly three-fourths (73%) of parents are having regular conversations with their kids about money," the survey says. "Interestingly, kids think the money conversations are taking place less often than parents. Parents also report that their parents (now grandparents) had fewer money conversations with them when they were kids, but 59% of these parents agree that their parents did a good job teaching them about money matters."family budget and how to save and invest money. That's helping turn U.S. kids into spenders, and not savers. The study points out that 63% of children save for short-term goals and are more likely to spend their cash immediately on products they weren't even saving for in the first place. Those conversations between parents and kids aren't helping America's youth adopt a healthy long-term view on savings and investing. According to T. Rowe Price, only 21% of U.S. kids believe the best way to save $1 million is through investing in stocks and bonds. If that's not a shocker, try this: The survey says 24% of American kids believe the best way to save $1 million is by becoming famous. That's not a recipe for success.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV