Quick Take: Where's the Fed Headed? Read the Minutes
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With the S&P 500 is approaching more all-time highs, bond yields also continue to creep higher. So what should we make of it?
Brian Barnier, principal analyst of ValueBridge Advisors, told TheStreet's Joe Deaux it can be tough for investors trying to decipher what to make of the Federal Reserve's intervention in the markets and when any tapering will begin. If the Fed acts, when will it be?
According to Barnier, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke is testing the waters. He wants to know what the Fed can and can't do, and how the markets will react.
"It's all laid out for you, if you just read through the [Fed] minutes," Barnier said.Barnier also pointed to the Fed's stance regarding the economy, saying the central bank is trying to keep performance tied to certain economic markers, such as unemployment. But it's important to remember the marks set by the Fed to either start, stop or taper bond-buying programs is a threshold and not a trigger -- meaning the numbers aren't necessarily set in stone, he said. Instead, around the certain area of an economic marker, such as 6% unemployment, the Fed will consider making some adjustments. Barnier also noted that the unemployment rate isn't exactly good and the duration of unemployment is "monstrous." However, he stressed that all of this can be found in the Fed minutes. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV