AKRON, Ohio, July 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- For Goodyear (NASDAQ: GT), the challenge of building tires for NASCAR is a diverse undertaking. Making safe and competitive tires as the exclusive supplier for NASCAR's top three national series means developing tires for race tracks ranging from one-half mile to 2.66 miles long, on concrete and asphalt, and surfaces as rough as a cheese grater and as smooth as glass.
This season, with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series adding the dirt track of Eldora Speedway to the schedule, the challenge got even bigger. The inaugural "Mudsummer Classic," scheduled for Wednesday, July 24 at the half-mile dirt track in Western Ohio, will be the first NASCAR national series race held on dirt in more than 40 years.
But for Goodyear, who has been involved in a wide array of racing disciplines over the years, it was just a matter of dipping into the playbook and coming up with a solution."Although this is the Camping World Trucks' first race on dirt, Goodyear has produced dirt tires throughout its racing history," said Greg Stucker, Goodyear's director of race tires. "We are very familiar with dirt, and we are very familiar with Eldora." The new "Wrangler" tires that Goodyear will bring to Eldora for the Truck Series are based upon a dirt modified tire in its tire line. However, the NASCAR dirt tire has been widened to 11 inches (from 10 inches) to provide a larger contact patch with the track and give the trucks more grip. The two primary differences from the standard race tires run on ovals in NASCAR's top three series is that the Eldora tire will (1) be a bias ply tire and (2) feature a tread pattern.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV