NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Assuming any of them made it through the volatility, long-term investors in Netflix (NFLX) can certainly say it's been a bumpy ride. But the Internet video-streaming giant has launched another new series of original programming, aiding the already strong price action seen in 2013.
TheStreet's Debra Borchardt and Chris Ciaccia break down the new series, "Orange is the New Black," and tell investors what to possibly expect following Netflix's earnings report.
Although the new series was released only about a week ago, it has had strong reviews so far. So strong in fact, that a second season has now been planned.
Adding to the bullish momentum, another season of "Arrested Development" may be announced. After the show was on cable television for three seasons in the early 2000s, a fourth season was recently released on Netflix. Investors expect that a fifth will follow.So where does Netflix's stock go, after having arguably one of the best upside runs of the year? Ciaccia said that he expects the momentum to continue. Earnings might cause a pullback and the stock may pause, but overall the bullish momentum should continue through the end of the year. Along with its content being well-received, the company is seeing its Internet streaming subscriptions continue to grow. He added that Netflix was trying to become the next HBO in terms of original content. While it may cause some customers to stick around for a shorter time, the "binge model" allows them to watch their favorite seasons all in one sitting if they chose to. Instead of waiting a week to watch each one, the common model on cable television, they can watch it whenever they want. Ciaccia concluded that Netflix is "trying to transition into the so-called, 'Internet cable television.'" -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. . Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV