3 Hold-Rated Dividend Stocks: MBT, MFA, RGP
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Mobile Telesystems OJSC (NYSE: MBT) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.20%. Mobile TeleSystems OJSC provides mobile and fixed voice, broadband, and pay TV, as well as content and entertainment services in Russia, eastern Europe, and central Asia. The company has a P/E ratio of 18.63. The average volume for Mobile Telesystems OJSC has been 1,934,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Mobile Telesystems OJSC has a market cap of $18.9 billion and is part of the telecommunications industry. Shares are up 1.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Mobile Telesystems OJSC as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins, notable return on equity and increase in stock price during the past year. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, generally higher debt management risk and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for MOBILE TELESYSTEMS OJSC is currently very high, coming in at 71.37%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 13.96% trails the industry average.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 1.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.7%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- In its most recent trading session, MBT has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Wireless Telecommunication Services industry average. The net income has decreased by 18.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $511.74 million to $417.80 million.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.79 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, MBT maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.73, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- You can view the full Mobile Telesystems OJSC Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts