To ensure a smooth transition, NU has named Paul Ramsey, Vice President of Energy Delivery, as interim president of PSNH, while it finalizes selection of Long’s permanent successor. Ramsey, who joined PSNH in 1975, currently oversees the planning, engineering, and construction and maintenance of the company’s electrical distribution system.
An electrical engineer by training, Long rose up PSNH’s ranks from an assistant engineer, to hold various positions at the company in the areas of marketing, customer service, regulatory affairs, governmental relations, corporate communications, economic development, and rates.
Long was PSNH's principal architect in the development and implementation of electric utility restructuring in New Hampshire following the passage of the state's electric utility restructuring law in 1996 that outlined the move from a fully regulated electric utility model to meet customers’ needs, to one where customers can choose an energy supplier in a competitive marketplace, but always have PSNH as a safety net.
Under Long’s leadership, PSNH:
- Substantially advanced New Hampshire’s renewable energy footprint through the development of the award-winning Northern Wood Power project, which replaced a 50-MW coal-fired boiler at the company’s Schiller Station in Portsmouth to burn clean wood chips; supported NH-based independent biomass power producers, including Burgess Biomass now under construction in Berlin, NH, through long-term power contracts; supported the development of Lempster Wind, NH’s first wind facility, through a long-term power contract
- Participated in the passage of ground-breaking legislation to improve air emissions at fossil-fired generating stations through efforts like the installation of cutting-edge emissions control technologies at PSNH’s Merrimack Station in Bow
- Participated in the development of New Hampshire’s Climate Action Plan
- Worked with NH officials to acquire the Connecticut Valley Electric Company (CVEC) in order to complete the state’s implementation of electric restructuring
- Developed and implemented a multi-year reliability enhancement program with state regulators to improve the company’s electric reliability and system performance
- Demonstrated outstanding operational performance and customer communications in the wake of five historic storms over the past four years
- Helped to advance the important work of numerous non-profit, community and economic development organizations