GERMANTOWN, Maryland, and HILDEN, Germany, July 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- U.S. launch of therascreen EGFR RGQ PCR Kit ( therascreen EGFR test) follows FDA approval of system to select non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients eligible for treatment with GILOTRIF™ ( afatinib)
- therascreen EGFR test addresses high volume, high value need with the broadest coverage of validated mutations
- Patients and healthcare providers benefit from reliable FDA-approved companion diagnostic to guide the use of new therapy targeting patients with EGFR gene mutations
- Laboratories gain additional content for high performance Rotor-Gene Q MDx
QIAGEN N.V. (NASDAQ: QGEN; Frankfurt Prime Standard: QIA) today announced it has received approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to market the therascreen EGFR test as a companion diagnostic to guide the use of Boehringer Ingelheim's new targeted therapy, GILOTRIF™ ( afatinib), for treatment of metastatic NSCLC in patients whose tumors have certain EGFR gene mutations. More than 200,000 new lung cancer cases are diagnosed every year in the United States, with NSCLC accounting for approximately 85% of cases, leading to an estimated 160,000 deaths.
The therascreen EGFR test enables doctors to identify EGFR mutation-positive patients eligible for treatment with GILOTRIF™ ( afatinib). The FDA approval of the therascreen EGFR test marks a further milestone in the global expansion of QIAGEN's Personalized Healthcare franchise - and adds a third FDA-approved or cleared diagnostic kit to run on QIAGEN's efficient Rotor-Gene Q MDx. Approximately 120,000 metastatic NSCLC patients each year in the U.S. could benefit from testing for EGFR mutations, a total potential testing market of about $35 million, according to QIAGEN estimates.
"We are very pleased to receive approval to market our therascreen EGFR test in the United States, a successful outcome from our collaboration with Boehringer Ingelheim. QIAGEN's companion diagnostics are transforming patient care and extending lives around the world by providing personalized genomic information to guide treatment decisions," said Peer M. Schatz, Chief Executive Officer of QIAGEN N.V. "The U.S. launch of the therascreen EGFR test adds to our growing menu of FDA-approved diagnostics running on the Rotor-Gene Q MDx, a real-time PCR platform in our revolutionary QIAsymphony family. Following the 2012 launch of our therascreen KRAS RGQ PCR Kit ( therascreen KRAS test) in colorectal cancer, U.S. laboratories already have adopted this test for more than half of the KRAS testing volume."Benefiting patients and healthcare providers
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts