NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- I think of Steve Ballmer as the John Adams of Microsoft (MSFT). Bill Gates was George Washington, the historical figure, while Ballmer is the annoying guy behind the scenes, doing the diplomatic heavy lifting.
Ever since Gates left active management for full-time philanthropy, Ballmer has remained in his shadow, an object of fun for some, an object of ridicule for others.
Yesterday, Ballmer tried to change his storyline with a sweeping reorganization of the company which he told employees will transform it completely.
Dubbed "One Microsoft," the reorganization makes Microsoft a "devices and services" company. Here are the highlights:
A single operating systems group, covering everything from devices to the cloud, under
Terry Myerson, who is still in his mid-40s and came to the company when his start-up Interse was acquired in 1997.
A devices and studios group under
Julie Larson-Green , once called Ballmer's heir apparent. She gets hardware, everything from the Windows Surface tablet and the Xbox gaming system, which was previously under Don Mattrick, who left earlier in the week for Zynga.
A single marketing group under
Tami Reller, who joined the company in 2001 when it acquired Great Plains Software. Previously head of Windows marketing, she now runs all marketing.
An advanced strategy and research group under
Eric Rudder, previously in charge of developer outreach in servers and tools, who once advised Gates on technical planning.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV