NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- I have been analyzing the publicly traded FDIC-insured financial institutions since early 2006. I began my studies a year earlier focusing on the housing market and home builder stocks. I correctly called the top for the builders in mid-2005, and then turned my attention to the community and regional banks. I began to warn about all banks in April 2006 and community banks began to fall like dominoes at the end of 2006 with the money center and regional banks crumbling beginning in February 2007.
Since the stock market bottom in March 2009 I have been dissecting the FDIC Quarterly Banking Profiles tracking the improvements in the banking system, but also warning that the Great Credit Crunch is not yet over.
A month ago I wrote,
Big Banks Face Limited Upside, but when the
PHLX KBW Banking Index
Remember that the banking index includes the four 'too big to fail' money center banks and that all 24 components of the index are rated hold. This makes next week's earnings from these 12 banks extremely important.On July 8 I wrote, Bank Indices Set Multi-Year Highs Pre-Earnings and the banking index set at least an interim peak on July 9. Bank earnings must beat on EPS and revenue without cautious guidance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV