A “proclamation” by President Barack Obama about his favorite food—broccoli—at the White House’s Kids’ State Dinner this week signifies that the once maligned vegetable is back in favor at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. One company that couldn’t be more pleased is Apio, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Landec Corporation (Nasdaq:LNDC), and a leading national producer of fresh-cut vegetable products that are packaged in convenient bags and trays and marketed under the Eat Smart ® brand.
Apio received worldwide exposure in 1990 when President George H. W. Bush banned broccoli from Air Force One. In response, Apio sent a truckload of broccoli to the White House and asked the President to reconsider his decision. The gift resulted in an avalanche of press coverage that came to be known as “broccoligate.”
Eat Smart branded products, especially the best-selling broccoli items, are designed to make healthy eating both convenient and delicious. Ready to use, Eat Smart broccoli florets are pre-cut and pre-washed, allowing for quick and easy preparation by steaming them right in the bag. “Broccoli is one of the original superfoods,” notes Ron Midyett, CEO of Apio, Inc. “High in fiber and filled with phytonutrients, it’s also one of the easiest vegetables to add to a healthy diet because it’s so versatile.”
“Superfoods” are nutrient-rich foods that typically contain phytochemicals, which are believed to promote health. Glucosinolates—found in cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, bok choy, kale, Napa cabbage, and red cabbage—are phytochemicals that can stimulate the body’s own natural antioxidant systems. Cruciferous vegetables have long been acclaimed for their healing properties.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV