By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Option activity in Blackstone (BX) shows up frequently on our scanners, and the bulls returned to the name yesterday.
Early buyers paid $0.63 for the August 22 calls, according to OptionMonster's tracking programs. They came back repeatedly through the day, driving premiums as high as $0.75. Almost 6,000 contracts traded against previous positioning of just 1,155, clearly indicating new activity.
Calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased in the private-equity firm, letting investors cheaply position for a rally. They can also generate some nice leverage if the stock runs higher.Blackstone shares rose 2.93% to $21.79 yesterday, almost $2 below their 52-week high. Yesterday's option paper was also focused on July contracts, so traders are definitely looking for a move before the end of the summer. Overall calls in the name outnumbered puts by 12,700 to 4,400. Total option volume was almost triple the daily average. Najarian owns BX calls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV