If there are any concerns about BB&T, it's with the company's stress test known as CCAR, or comprehensive capital analysis review. This is the test conducted by the Federal Reserve, which is used to ensure that financial institutions have adequate capital planning to prevent the sort of "too big to fail" situations that impacted the American taxpayer at the height of the credit crisis.
Surprisingly, BB&T failed its last evaluation despite demonstrating arguably the best capital ratio within the sector. At the recent conference last month, management announced to shareholders that the bank had resubmitted its CCAR for review.
I don't anticipate there will be a problem this time considering the bank recently raised its dividend by 15%. The bank would not have enacted a dividend hike if capital and/or liquidity were a concern.
With that in mind, while I'm inclined to believe the bank still has a solid operation, I'm not convinced the stock has much more upside potential from current levels. Before buying, I would wait to hear what management says about results of the CCAR. That, along with improved results in commercial and residential lending, should offer better near-term clarity.At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV