Not only is silver supported by the largest number of bullish scenarios, it is also the most oversold relative to its peers. Like copper, silver has a broad array of industrial uses. Like gold, it has the tendency to perform well as a safe haven.
But since gold has no true end-market (as it is bought primarily by investors or used in jewelry), the broader prospects favor silver on both a technical and fundamental basis -- whether the economy improves or stalls through the remainder of 2013.
Given the force of this year's downtrend, the latest rally does little to repair the damage investors have faced when dealing with the precious metals markets. But for those approaching the market from a contrarian perspective, it does make sense to start looking at silver investments as a growing opportunity -- especially when compared to its peers.
This is better done through the use of ETFs rather than futures contracts in the metal. A good choice is the iShares Silver Trust, which is starting to look better and better from a risk-to-reward standpoint.Another option is Silver Wheaton (SLW), which has key advantages over many of the silver miners. Silver Wheaton has comparatively strong margins and is able to lock in products from miners at low rates. This generally insulates the company from many of the industry's central risks and offers some attractive opportunities for those looking to buy into this year's weakness in the metals space. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV