To sweeten the upward momentum of AMD shares, Canaccord-Genuity's Bobby Burleson upped his rating to buy from hold and increased his price target to $5 from $3.
Bank of America's Vivek Arya told clients the agreements with Sony and Microsoft might turn AMD "into a profitable, diversified company with a multi-year recurring revenue stream."
Arya believes enthusiastic demand for new game consoles should help to offset any possible competition from some of the gaming apps used by consumers on their smartphones and tablets.
In his note to clients Arya estimated AMD may start to feel the positive financial impact of the deals as soon as the third quarter of this year.It's been a bumpy road for AMD shareholders over the last five years as the chart below makes abundantly clear. When you look at the trailing twelve month revenue per share line you see why. AMD data by YCharts
If you'd purchased shares in the first half of 2009 and held until now you're likely to be just breaking even. Yet, Thursday's news on AMD bodes well for the next few years. As the analyst pointed out, companies like MSFT and SNE usually wait several years before launching new game consoles. That's why Arya thinks AMD could have "multiple years of exclusivity and profitability in this market." AMD wasn't able to revel publicly about all this since it's in a "quiet period" before the release of its second-quarter earnings on July 18 after the market closes. Keen investors may want to study why stocks of companies like AMD do so well so suddenly. If one keeps a close eye on similar publicly traded firms and reads the press releases as well as listens carefully to the earnings conference calls, a familiar pattern may appear. At the time of publication the author was long MSFT. Follow @m8a2r1 This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV