5 Major League Soccer Teams That Outdraw Baseball
PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- When comparing the two professional summer sports in the U.S., it helps to keep Major League Baseball and Major League Soccer's scale in mind.
Last season, Major League Baseball's 30 teams drew 74.9 million fans to their ballparks and pulled in more than 30,000 per game. Major League Soccer's 19 clubs had 6 million fans come through the turnstiles and 18,800 show up on average for each match. Baseball has its own network that it built with DirecTV (DTV) and still has Fox (NWS), TBS (TWX) and ESPN (DIS) paying for game rights, while MLS makes do with its deals with ESPN, NBC SPORTS (CMCSA) and Univision and a fan base that's growing in all the right demographics.
As baseball gears up for its All-Star Game at the Mets' Citi (C) Field in New York, MLS' biggest recent announcement was that it would be holding its 2014 All-Star Game in Portland, Ore. So why should the MLS feel good about next year's summer classic in what's not even the biggest city in the Pacific Northwest as baseball prepares to show off its best players in one of the biggest cities in the world? Again, it's all a matter of perspective.
When it comes to average attendance pro baseball and soccer rank No. 2 and 3, respectively, behind the National Football League. In some cases, MLS teams even draw more fans per game than big-league ballclubs -- including teams that happen to share the same city. The Portland Timbers are one of the MLS organizations putting MLB teams to shame, and they've been around in their current MLS incarnation for only three years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV