Interestingly, Apollo's shares didn't immediately increase after the announcement. Caesars represents over $400 million of Apollo's $3.27 billion market cap. On the day of the announcement, Apollo closed slightly lower. On Thursday, the market figured it out, and Apollo was trading up over 3%.
Two other notable holders include Paulson & Co. and Soros Fund Management. Investors interested in buying will probably not want to forget who's the likely counterparty selling. Most people haven't found tremendous success as the counterparty to the above three big-money players.
Apollo stated it intends to invest at least $500 million into the newly split company, representing roughly 40% ownership. Compared to the current 70% ownership of Caesars, at $500 million, the offering represents a dilution of ownership for Apollo. No one is in a better position than it to evaluate the potential risks and rewards of splitting Caesars. If Apollo wants lower exposure, it sends a message you should pay close attention to.
With that said, I can envision Caesars growing, and widespread online gaming becoming a reality in the near future. I love the properties it owns, and when the economy recovers (and it will), it's well positioned to benefit. Time is on your side, and if you wait until the excitement to passes, you will have another chance to roll the dice, but at a price under $16.
At the time of publication, the author had no positions in stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV