NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Elon Musk has done it again.
The effervescent CEO of Tesla Motors (TSLA) said in an interview with Bloomberg the company is producing more than 400 cars per week, topping that number by a significant margin. "We're above 400 a week at the current manpower, and not trivially above it," Musk said during an interview at the company's manufacturing plant in Fremont, Calif. He also noted that the company plans to get to producing 800 cars a week by late next year, and noted he's "very confident we'll get there."
Musk declined to further talk about the output, as the company gets set to report quarterly results shortly.
When Tesla reported first-quarter earnings in May, the company raised its production delivery target for 2013, saying it will deliver 21,000 units of the popular Model S. That was up from an original estimate of 20,000 units.Tesla shares were moving higher in Thursday trading, up 2.03% to $124.75. Musk's comments imply the delivery production rate could be raised yet again when Tesla reports second-quarter results. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expect Tesla to lose 16 cents per share on $401.52 million in revenue for the second quarter. Shares of the electric car maker have been on a tear this year, gaining 268.9% year-to-date, as the company has been the subject of incredible amounts of good press. Consumer Reports gave the Model S a 99 rating, naming it the top car the consumer advocate had ever reviewed. Musk has been able to generate exorbitant amounts of goodwill with his tweets. The 42-year-old CEO even went so far to shoot down an erroneous review by The New York Times using data from the car, successfully turning high-profile negative criticism into a PR coup. TSLA data by YCharts
--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV