Walter Energy (NYSE: WLT) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.40%. Walter Energy, Inc. produces and exports metallurgical coal for the steel industry. It also produces thermal and industrial coal, anthracite, metallurgical coke, coal bed methane gas, and other related products. The average volume for Walter Energy has been 8,723,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Walter Energy has a market cap of $713.9 million and is part of the metals & mining industry. Shares are down 68% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Walter Energy as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 221.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $40.62 million to -$49.44 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.76 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, WLT maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.95, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, WALTER ENERGY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for WALTER ENERGY INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 11.33%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -10.06% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$19.40 million or 127.37% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Walter Energy Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts