Surprised By The Microsoft And Oracle Partnership News? The Old Worn Phrases Like "oil And Water," And "cats And Dogs," Spring To Mind Far More Than "peanut Butter And Jelly" When Those Two Names Are Used In The Same Sentence. (Photo: Business Wire)
Long-time competitors Microsoft Corp and Oracle recently announced they would collaborate with Oracle software on its cloud-based platforms, permitting bits of Oracle’s software to interface with Microsoft’s software and online services.
This effort is aimed at improving the rivals' chances as new competitors emerge selling less expensive services based in remote data centers.
We've all been in this business a long time, and I think most of us were a little surprised by the recent announcement of a newfound relationship between MS and Oracle. The old worn phrases like "oil and water," and "cats and dogs," spring to mind far more than "peanut butter and jelly" when those two names are used in the same sentence.Still, it's a sign of the times. Our staid market of hardware vendors and software vendors, timeless mainframes and ubiquitous x86 machines, platform lock-in and startup challenges has changed. New platforms have emerged and dominated in the past 5 years (VMW, Xen, Hyper-V). New computing models (Amazon Cloud) have become standard in months - which feels like nanoseconds in a world where flavors of UNIX are still frequent cocktail party conversation. So, it stands to reason that the bastions of our industry are feeling the need to break some glass to maintain relevance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV