One name that's quickly moving within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade is Vanda Pharmaceuticals (VNDA), which focuses on the development and commercialization of clinical-stage drug candidates for central nervous system disorders. This stock has been in pure beast mode in 2013, with shares up an impressive 135% so far.
If you look at the chart for Vanda Pharmaceuticals, you'll notice that this stock recently pulled back sharply from its 52-week high of $13.30 to its low of $7.44 a share. That pullback took VNDA right to its 50-day moving average, and so far the stock has held that level and started to reverse its recent downtrend. That reversal has now put VNDA in an uptrend, with the stock making higher lows and higher highs right above its 50-day moving average. Shares of VNDA are now quickly moving within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade.Market players should now look for long-biased trades in VNDA if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $8.74 to $10 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 1.04 million shares. If that breakout hits soon, then VNDA will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at $11 to $12 a share. Any high-volume move above those levels will then give VNDA a chance to re-test its 52-week high at $13.30 a share. Traders can look to buy VNDA off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below its 50-dayat $7.97 a share or below some more key near-term support at $7.44 a share. One can also buy VNDA off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV