Those three retail rivals, between them, are just 60% of Wal-Mart's size. With nearly $470 billion in sales last year, the needle is just hard to move for Wal-Mart.
Consider. Between 2011 and 2012 Wal-Mart sales grew about $23 billion. Sounds great, but it's barely 5%, the same growth rate as Target. Kroger sales grew just $6 billion, but that's 6% growth. Costco's $10 billion sales gain was still 11% growth.Then there is the cost of maintaining that size, and engineering that growth:
- Wal-Mart is facing increasing resistance when it tries to shoehorn new "supercenters" into crowded cities. There are two such protests going on a few miles from my Atlanta home, with a lawsuit filed in Decatur, Creative Loafing reports, and a neighborhood group fighting a proposed store in intown Atlanta, according to East Atlanta Patch. (I am secretary to the group covering an adjacent neighborhood.)
- Wal-Mart said this week it will halt plans to build three new stores in Washington D.C. over a "living wage" bill passed by the city council there, The Washington Post reports.
- Wal-Mart's wages are under general attack by congressional Democrats, who claim they amount to a $1 million a year subsidy by taxpayers of each store.
- When a clothing factory burned down in Bangladesh, it was Wal-Mart that became the chief target, the Huffington Post reported.
- Wal-Mart's efforts to penetrate the Mexican market resulted in a huge bribery scandal. Forbes estimated its cost at $4.5 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV