DETROIT, July 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Reduces energy use 7 percent and carbon emissions 5 percent since 2010
- Increases landfill-free facilities to 105; reduces total waste 8 percent since 2010
- Commits to reduce average U.S. fleet CO 2 emissions 15 percent by 2016
General Motors today reaffirmed its commitment to further reduce the energy used and the environmental impacts of building and operating an automobile, detailing product goals and tracking progress toward its 2020 manufacturing priorities in its 2012 Sustainability Report.
The report covers energy, emissions, waste reduction and other areas that drive long-term sustainability.Reducing energy used and emissions output in its plants, operations and products is important to customers and stakeholders, GM says in the report. The company's overall sustainability strategy creates value for customers through new technologies and lower operating costs and improves the bottom line through revenue generation, cost savings and risk mitigation. "Sustainability is not only a key part of how GM is shifting from a good to great company, it is about the leadership and innovation that can transform the auto industry," said GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson. "Our long-term approach to sustainability enables us to increase efficiency and reimagine personal mobility to best meet customer needs and lifestyles." GM developed the following commitments to meet customer needs for efficient vehicles and significantly reduce the environmental impact of its products:
- Put 500,000 vehicles on the road in the U.S. with some form of electrification by 2017. GM's electrified vehicles today include the extended-range electric Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV and Buick LaCrosse, Regal, Chevrolet Malibu and Impala with eAssist.
- Double the models that achieve 40-mpg highway or better by 2017, such as the Chevrolet Volt, Sonic and Cruze Eco, and the all-new Cadillac ELR and Chevrolet Spark EV and Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel.
- Reduce average U.S. fleet CO 2 emissions 15 percent by 2016 and Opel/Vauxhall fleet CO 2 emissions 27 percent by 2020.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV