Wedding season is in full swing and it is impossible not to notice. If you aren’t jetting off to a wedding every other weekend, chances are your social media accounts have been invaded with an overwhelming number of wedding posts and photos. You are not alone. In fact, seven in 10 twitter-using wedding guests admitted to tweeting about a wedding while in attendance * and five in 10 guests “checked in” to a wedding using Facebook or Foursquare.
Wedding Paper Divas recently conducted a survey exposing some eye-opening facts about the way technology, mobile devices and social media are impacting and transforming weddings: the average guest shared 22 wedding-related photos to social media sites, and four in 10 recent wedding guests reported a specific hashtag was provided and social sharing was encouraged.
“While it may seem insignificant, the consequences of hasty sharing can be catastrophic,” said Amber Harrison, wedding and etiquette maven at Wedding Paper Divas. “A once-in-a-lifetime moment was ruined recently when an overzealous bridesmaid posted a photo of the bride in her wedding dress shortly before the wedding ceremony. The groom first saw his beautiful bride as a tiny image on Facebook, as opposed walking down the aisle toward him.”
Harrison offers top tips for summer wedding guests and those planning future weddings:
- Set the tone: If you want your guests to engage online make sure you communicate it clearly. Use your wedding website or a printed enclosure card sent with the invitation to share the wedding hashtag and any preferences for social sharing.
- Follow that bride/groom: Take a cue from the online behavior of the betrothed. If they are frequently sharing photos of cake tastings and potential floral arrangements, chances are it is ok for you to join the conversation.
- Think before you post: Be very thoughtful and deliberate about what and when you choose to post. When in doubt, hold off. Nothing will be harmed by waiting a few hours, or even days, to post that photo.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts