"What interests the megavendors are those marketing companies that have a base of large clients," he said.
Marketo has made more success with small to mid-sized companies than with larger entities.
Stephens analyst Carter Malloy said that both Marketo and Responsys could be targets. He doesn't follow privately held Silverpop.
"It's the value of the technology and scarcity of assets of this type of quality," he said.Malloy notes that Responsys, trading at about 3 times revenues, scored higher in a recent Gartner (IT) ranking than ExactTarget, Eloqua, Marketo or Neolane, which were acquired at or trade at 6 to 9 times sales. Marketo is at the higher range of the scale. Before Salesforce acquired ExactTarget, some industry watchers speculated that Marketo might be the target. Responsys CEO Dan Springer suggested at a Stephens investor conference in July that Salesforce.com could have been deterred by Merkato's price expectations. "Many people thought, and I definitely considered this, that they would buy Marketo, who was the next largest B2B centric player in the space who has recently went public," Springer said. Salesforce may have felt squeezed after its $689 million purchase of Buddy Media in 2012. "They paid so much money when they purchased Buddy Media for a relatively small amount of revenue, to go out and try to get what Marketo was trying to get in the marketplace was going to be very difficult," Springer said. "For them to spend that much money again for relatively small revenue," he added, "risking that they wake up a year from now,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV