Is Atlanta Ready For An Aging Population? New Local Survey Reveals Atlanta-Area Residents Concerned About Their City And Themselves As They Get Old; New Website, Healthy Aging “By The Decades” Checklist And Aging Communities Toolkit Offer Help
“This survey gives us a rare insight into what Atlanta’s population thinks about getting older in our city,” explained Maureen Kelly, President of the Thanks Mom and Dad Fund. Kelly went on to say, “While some of the information in this survey shows Atlanta in a better position to care for older generations compared to other cities, the results also provide us with a good understanding of where we can and must improve in order to best care for the growing population of older adults in Atlanta.”
Other Key survey findings
- 60% of respondents in the Atlanta area agree their workplace values diversity of age but their top work related fear is not being able to retire when planned (63%), followed closely by a fear of not being able to get a new job (46%) or being able to stop work when you want to (46%.)
- Only 21% of respondents feel the community is very prepared to provide appropriate healthcare facilities for older people and just 25% feel the community is very prepared to provide home caregiving.
- Only 32% feel the Atlanta area is very prepared with transportation options for older people and just 25% see Atlanta as very prepared to provide housing for this population.
- 54% of Atlanta-area respondents feel U.S. politicians portray older generations in a positive way and more than half (53%) feel the media does, too.
- A huge majority (94%) agree that technology allows you to stay connected with the people in your life but that it’s a lot of work to keep up with (74%).
The 2013 Get Old survey was fielded by Harris Interactive and included 300 respondents in the Atlanta area, ages 18-plus. The survey was conducted between March 25 and April 12, 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV