NEW YORK, July 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mortgage rates rebounded following a better-than-expected jobs report, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate rising to 4.66 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.28 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage increased to 3.75 percent, while the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage rate climbed to 4.82 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages moved higher also. The popular 5-year adjustable rate jumped to 3.63 percent, the highest in more than two years, while the 10-year adjustable hit 4.07 percent.This week's jump in mortgage rates, which more than wiped out last week's retreat, came after the release of the monthly employment report. Job growth for June that exceeded expectations, coupled with upward revisions to April and May payrolls, were evidence of the type of improvement the Fed will need to see to begin curtailing their bond purchases. And for that reason, we saw further increases in both bond yields and mortgage rates, to levels above where they were following Ben Bernanke's late June press conference. As recently as May 1 st, the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate was 3.52 percent. At that time, a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $900.32. With the average rate currently at 4.66 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $1,032.47, a difference of $132 per month for anyone that waited just a little too long. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 4.66% -- up from 4.48% last week (avg. points: 0.28)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV