The Deal: SEC Ends Ban on Private Fund Advertising
Roper said, however, that a legal challenge to the SEC's rules ending the ban on general solicitation is unlikely.
Industry advocates were equally incredulous at the SEC's proposed investor protections.
John Borer, the head of investment banking at Benchmark Co., who also sits on the SEC Advisory Committee on Small and Emerging Companies, said he agrees with Commissioners Paredes and Gallagher that the new investor protections will thwart the intent of the JOBS Act.
"Why are they putting this in there? Just to hire more statisticians to look at information they never even required before?" he said. "Prefiling on a Form D before general solicitation, that was never part of the game before. It costs money, takes time and what's the benefit? Do they have any idea how much this stuff costs?"Nevertheless, Borer said he was glad the commissioners finally agreed to end the ban on general solicitation. "It makes sense and it made sense a year ago," he said. Written by Dan Lonkevich And Bill Meagher.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV