By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- OptionMONSTER's Heat Seeker tracking systems detected the purchase of some 8,000 September 42 calls, most of which priced for $1.02 to $1.12. Previous open interest was just 509 contracts at the strike, so new money was clearly being put to work.
Calls lock in the price where stock can be purchased no matter how far it might climb. Leverage from these options can allow investors to turn small stock moves into big winners.
Xilinx (XLNX) shares rose 2.52% to $41.16 yesterday and are up 27% in the last year. The September 42 calls, meanwhile, appreciated more than 10% to $1.26 by yesterday's close.The company beat expectations in its last two earnings releases, and the next quarterly report is scheduled for July 17. Its shares are parked at the same price level where they peaked in 2001 and 2004, which could make some traders expect a big rally if they break out. Owning calls lets them position for such a move with much less risk than owning the shares directly. Overall calls in the name outnumbered puts by more than 10 to 1, reflecting the session's bullish bias. More than 12,700 contracts traded in all, compared with average volume of just 2,430. Russell has no positions in XLNX.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV