Mutascio on Wednesday said JPMorgan represented the best value for investors in an overvalued banking sector, saying the bank was trading at a 16% discount to the median large-cap bank on a price-to-earnings basis. The analyst cited JPMorgan's highly liquid position as long-term rates rise, and also touted the firm's cost-cutting efforts. "JPM's cost containment efforts have been one of the most impressive in the group when looking at a year-over-year personnel expenses (down 2.3% year-over-year versus the median increase of 2.6%)," he said.
Mutascio's price target for JPMorgan's shares is $58, which implies little upside from Wednesday's closing price of $54.83, but the analyst called his price target "conservative."
JPMorgan also pays a quarterly dividend of 38 cents a share, for a yield of 2.77%. The company was approved by the Federal Reserve in March to repurchase up to $6 billion in common shares through the first quarter of 2014.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV