Whitman has trying to restructure HP since she was named CEO in September 2011. HP has reduced costs by $3 billion as its staff is reduced by 10% or 29,000 employees, the Citi analysts wrote. These changes have allowed Hewlett-Packard to generate free cash flow, which is expected to reach $7.5 billion this year. "We see a key infliction point ahead," said analyst Jim Suva, who has a $32 price target on shares.
"We note that during the past 10 years HPQ shares have traded at an average of 11x but we believe the discount to 8x is warranted as the company is in the middle of a turn around," the analysts wrote.
Citi noted the company has managed to retreat from past strategies which had left it vulnerable.The company is turning around its computing business, which is in a secular decline. Citi's analysts predict computer sales to drop 13% this year and an additional 6% in 2014. Computers represent a quarter of HP's but only accounts for 9% of HP's operating costs. That's down from 2008, when computer sales accounted for 20% of of operating costs. The analysts doubt that HP will risk investing through acquisitions. HP lost profits in 2011 after acquiring UK-based Autonomy for $11.7 billion. The transaction was later discovered to be rife with misinformation. "We do not expect this to be a material concern in the near-term," the analysts wrote in their note. The Palo Alto-based computer company rose 1.8% Wednesday, closing at $25.93. Shares have gained 81.7% year-to-date, sharply outperforming the S&P 500. -- Written by Robert Arenella in New York >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Robert Arenella.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV