ADVISORY, July 10, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The recent sell-off in U.S. equities was reversed during the week-over-week period. Positive economic data has helped bring the U.S. stock market to within striking distance of all-time highs. The NASDAQ US 1500 INDEX rose 2.8%.
"The 'risk-on' trade seems to be back as investors have put worries about Fed 'tapering' aside. The U.S. looks particularly attractive compared to other markets lately as China's growth seems to be slowing," said Dave Gedeon, Managing Director, NASDAQ OMX Global Indexes. "Crude oil and energy stocks have been helped by U.S. economic data and the turmoil in Egypt."
|LARGEST INDEX MOVERS|
|TOP 5 EQUITY INDEX MOVERS:||7/02 - 7/09|
|NASDAQ INTERNET INDEX (QNET)||+3.1%|
|NASDAQ EMERGING MARKETS INDEX (NQEM)||-3.0%|
|OMX STOCKHOLM BENCHMARK INDEX (OMXSBGI)||+2.9%|
|NASDAQ US 1500 INDEX (NQUSS1500)||+2.8%|
|NASDAQ CHINA INDEX (NQCN)||-2.6%|
|TOP 5 COMMODITY INDEX MOVERS:||7/02 – 7/09|
|PHLX GOLD/SILVER SECTOR INDEX (XAU)||-6.0%|
|PHLX OIL SERVICE SECTOR INDEX (OSX)||+4.0%|
|NASDAQ CRUDE OIL INDEX ER (NQCICLER)||+3.9%|
|NASDAQ ENERGY INDEX ER (NQCIENER)||+3.4%|
|NASDAQ BRENT CRUDE INDEX ER (NQCICBER)||+3.1%|
- The NASDAQ Internet Index (QNET ) rose 3.1% on the strong price performance of a number of U.S. large cap internet stocks. Smaller cap stocks represented by the broad NASDAQ 1500 Index (NQUSS1500) also rose 2.8%.
- Gold and silver have continued to be weak due to a lack of inflation and continued concerns about Chinese growth. The PHLX Gold/Silver Sector Index (XAU) dropped 6% over the most recent, holiday-shortened 4 trading day period.
- Finally, as noted above, Chinese stocks were weak due to manufacturing and growth data, while crude oil has been rallying on lower inventories and geopolitical tensions. The NASDAQ China Index (NQCN) fell 2.6% while the PHLX Oil Service Sector Index (OSX) rose 4.0%
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACTS: Nick Lawler Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5613 firstname.lastname@example.org Chauntez Wilson Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5415 email@example.com Wayne Lee NASDAQ OMX (301) 978-4875 Wayne.firstname.lastname@example.org
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts