Avoid Popular Stocks like the Devil
By Ellen Chang
Since the companies are well known and highly publicized, it seems like their stocks are a good purchase, because their products are often used by the masses.
Financial advisors and other experts advise that investors shy away from imitating their moves and instead focus on purchasing mutual funds, exchange traded funds or other investments which provide long-term growth.The majority of your investments should be in mutual funds, advises Heriberto Latigo, a Houston, Tex. trader for a private oil trading company. "You want mutual funds, so it is easier to diversify risks," he said. "Mutual funds are actively managed. The flexibility is perfect for the majority of the investors." Investors should research whether the mutual funds are a value or growth play, said Andrew Valentine Pool, a portfolio manager for Regatta Research & Money Management, LLC, which is based in New Orleans. He recommends purchasing a mutual fund index. "Let the portfolio managers of the mutual funds do all the work, because it helps you spread your risk around," he said. John McDonough, president and CEO of the Studemont Group based in The Woodlands, Tex., recommends that investors buy exchange traded funds, because they trade like a stock. Mutual funds only price at the end of the day after the markets close. "Timing a market is fool's gold," he said. "There is so much risk that you don't know about." While buying Google or Facebook's stocks seem like a good opportunity to make some cash, Latigo said most individuals need to stay away from purchasing stocks unless they have $250,000 in liquid investments. "This is my mantra," he said. "I don't recommend anyone buying stocks."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV