NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Wells Fargo (WFC) and PNC Financial Services Group (PNC) were among U.S. banks that saw their shares move lower Wednesday following downgrades by Sandler O'Neill analyst Scott Siefers.
"Our concern is that, while the market is now acutely focused on the steepening curve and a slightly stronger macro recovery, at some point that concentration may shift toward the myriad headwinds still impacting the group. These include still weak loan growth, a marked slowdown in refi activity, ongoing regulatory scrutiny (which introduces both earnings and capital questions), and the likely waning benefit of credit leverage. Plus, while the steeper curve is certainly a plus, it is no panacea, and the real leverage will come from a higher short end, which could still be years away. In other words, while the group's strength has certainly been based in part on fundamentals, sentiment seems to be playing just as big a role," Siefers wrote.
Despite including it among the downgrades, Siefers argued Wells Fargo "in particular," will "put to work its massive horde of excess liquidity, which should help to support" net interest margins and net interest income. He also cited "solid," credit and capital positions, adding "the company remains in a position to grow its loan book at a multiple of the industry level."Wells Fargo shares were down by 1.71% in late morning trading, compared to a drop of 2.58% for PNC, a 3.73% fall for Horizon and a downward move of 1.22% for Old National. The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) was down by 1.27%. Wells Fargo was underperforming peers such as Bank of America (BAC), JPMorgan Chase (JPM)and Citigroup (C) despite its superior capital position in the face of new regulatory mandates. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV