NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Although a technology dividend ETF would have probably been a joke 10 years ago, First Trust recognizes its potential today. First Trust strategists Ryan Issakainen and TheStreet's Gregg Greenberg are here with the breakdown.
Over the last five or six years, investors have seen many more technology companies initiate dividend payouts. Due to their strong balance sheets, this is certainly a plausible strategy for maturing companies that still have strong cash flows.
In fact, technology stocks are actually the largest dividend contributor to the S&P 500's dividend payouts.
That's why First Trust decided that it made sense to have a technology dividend ETF. But does that mean that the companies in it are all but done growing?Not necessarily, according to Issakainen. He said that while companies such as Microsoft (MSFT), Intel (INTC) and IBM (IBM) all have strong payouts, they also have strong free cash flows. Add in low debt, experience and a lot of cash, and it strengthens Issakainen's argument that these companies will continue to increase their dividends. Although dividends make sense for mature tech titans, what about the young companies? He says that new technology companies are likely better off reinvesting in themselves. He added that companies such as Facebook (FB) would do shareholders a disservice by paying out a dividend, rather than finding new potential growth outlets to exploit. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. . Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV