OWINGS MILLS, Md., July 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Medifast, Inc. (NYSE: MED), a leading United States manufacturer and provider of clinically proven, portion-controlled weight-loss products and programs, announces the results of a national survey on health, fitness habits and weight loss. The poll surveyed more than 2,000 men and women over the age of 18 to determine how they plan to slim down over the summer. The survey entitled, "The Nation by Numbers: How America Slims Down for Summer" not only revealed the respondents' weight loss goals and perceptions, but also uncovered specific behaviors believed to impede weight-loss success. The survey findings reflect that while many people are interested in losing weight for the summer season, most are not actively engaging in activities to help them reach their goals.
"It is crucial to constantly gauge changes in how people are approaching health and fitness," said Brian Kagen, Medifast's Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer. "This survey helps us understand different methods and perceptions of diet and exercise so we can better inform consumers about clinically proven methods to lose weight and keep it off."
Key findings of the survey include:
- 66% of participants would like to lose 5 – 15 lbs. this summer, 24% would like to lose 15 – 30 lbs., 7% would like to lose 30 – 50 lbs. and 3% want to lose 50 lbs. or more
- Over 80% of respondents are not following a weight-loss program, counting calories, using mobile applications, or working with a fitness trainer
- 26% of respondents don't regularly exercise, 9% exercise once a week, 30% exercise 1 -3 days a week, 25% exercise 3 -5 days a week and 9% exercise more than 5 days a week
- 72% of survey participants intend on trying to lose weight alone while only 28% plan to partner with a friend, family member, or co-worker
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts