"We do not see this plan appeasing industry critics on Capitol Hill," he wrote in a research note. "Hoenig did not fully endorse the combination of Basel III and the extra leverage proposal. There were similar questions by other FDIC board members. So there is a feeling coming from the agency that regulators might not have gone far enough with the leverage proposals."
He said lawmakers such as Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, might "pick up on this dissent" and continue pushing legislation to break up the biggest banks.
Written by Bill McConnell and Jane Searle
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV