NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Dow transportation average gained momentum Tuesday in a technical move towards a test of its May 20 all time high at 6,568.41. What this has done is raise the earnings bar for the transportation sector, which still has a sector allocation rating of 'avoid-source of funds.'
I profiled these eight transportation stocks I have been following in Continue to Avoid Transportation Stocks. I have not changed this June 19 assessment and thus re-iterate that transportation stocks should be sold on strength.
The transportation sector consists of 182 stocks and only six have a buy rating. We show that 96 stocks are rated sell and another 47 are rated strong sell. With 78.6% of all stocks rated sell the 'avoid-source of funds' asset allocation weighting remains appropriate. On June 19 the sector had 74.9% of stocks rated sell.
The ValuEngine valuation warning continues with 74.0% of all stocks overvalued, and with 38.6% of all stocks overvalued by 20% or more. The transportation sector is 14.6% overvalued.In today's table, all eight stocks are overvalued, all continue to be sell-rated, and six had double-digit gains of 13.2% to 51.2% over the last 12 months. The projected losses for the next 12 months range from down 5.7% to down 9.8%. All are above their 200-day simple moving averages which risks reversion to the mean.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV