Beyond the Southeast, Delhaize continues to review its portfolio for further divestitures, sources said. Potential divestitures by Delhaize could include Hannaford, with 179 supermarkets in the Northeast, and Bottom Dollar, a chain of 57 discount stores in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, as well as Bloom, a chain of 49 stores in Maryland, South Carolina, Virginia and North Carolina, it was reported. Such divestitures would be to support its core Food Lion supermarket chain.
Other supermarket giants looking to unload assets could include both Safeway (SWY) and Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea. Safeway owns Genuardi's Family Markets, Randall's Food Markets, Carr-Gottsteim Foods, Dominick's Supermarkets and Vons Cos. A&P, which has put its Food Emporium unit on the block, operates A&P, Waldbaum's, Pathmark, Best Cellars, Superfresh and Food Basics brands.
National chains and large regionals are likely analyzing their portfolios to determine where their strengths and weaknesses lie, said Antony Karabus, president of financial advisory firm Hilco Trading's SD Retail Consulting practice. The idea would be to divest stores in weak markets and to make tuck-in acquisitions to shore up positions in core markets, Karabus explained
Written by Richard Collings
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV