SEATTLE, July 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With this summer bringing record heat to parts of the nation, an effort is underway to help those who are among the most susceptible to its dangers. Emeritus Senior Living is deploying its Shade Brigade with the goal of helping more than 5,000 seniors in weathering the high temperatures in coming weeks. The Shade Brigade, comprised of staff from Emeritus communities, will fan out to seniors' homes to bring coolers filled with water, popsicles, fruit and juice. The team will also check on the seniors' wellbeing, provide heat-related safety tips, and invite the seniors to their local Emeritus community for a free meal and time to cool off in the air conditioning.
"The Shade Brigade reflects Emeritus' Safely Somewhere philosophy, in which we do our best to ensure that seniors are living in safe, purposeful environments whether they reside with us or elsewhere," said Emeritus Senior Living Executive Vice President Budgie Amparo, R.N., M.S.N., who oversees the organization's health and wellness services. "With this summer's heat posing such a hazard for seniors, we want to do what we can to help as the temperatures rise."
People 65 and over are more prone to heat stress for several reasons, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. They are less able to adjust to sudden temperature changes, more likely to have a chronic medical condition that affects how the body responds to heat, and likelier to be taking medications that affect the body's ability to regulate temperature or perspire.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV